Friday, March 25, 2011

A New Pianoforte

The word piano is a shortened form of pianoforte, the...Italian word for the instrument. The musical terms "piano" and "forte" mean "quiet" and "loud," and in this context refers to the variations in volume of sound the instrument produces in response to a pianist's touch on the keys...
~Wikipedia


 My sister-in-law, Lyndsay, inherited this lovely piano from her grandmother. This morning, it was delivered to my house for safe keeping.

I also got some tea in the mail from Cristen, Lyndsay's mom. This is my favorite tea in the whole world, and the company stopped making it. Imagine my surprise when Cristen gave me her last two boxes! I was very touched and delighted by her kindness.


A little note from Maya! (The scribe, however, may actually be her mom... or Maya is more developed than I thought!)

I feel just like Marianne in "Sense and Sensibility" when Colonel Brandon gives her a new pianoforte.
The funny thing is, I had a dream last night that I was dancing to Claire de Lune. I have had that song in my head all day.

Can I just say, this is Kate's greatest perfomance? After seeing this movie, I so wanted to be an English girl. And wear my hair in ringlets, and wraps, and stroll along the English countryside with hot guys like Willoughby. 
Another depiction of a pianoforte: this is Jane Fairfax in "Emma". She is also given a pianoforte, by a mysterious person. It turns out to be Frank Churchill, whom she is engaged to, but no one knows.

Although the musical selections that came with my own pianoforte are a bit different from these ladies. Instead of Mozart, I have the sheet music of the Eagles, as well as U2. And I wear Betsey Johnson dresses as opposed to chiffon wraps. And modern hairstyles dictate that I must round brush my hair, instead of wrap it in cotton rollers every night.

No matter. I still feel totally connected to my heroines who played on their pianofortes.




..though sisters, and living almost within sight of each other, they could live without disagreement between themselves, or producing coolness between their husbands.
(Elinor and Marianne end up happily... )



~Jane Austen for Beginners (Sense and Sensibility)

No comments: