Saturday, April 20, 2013

Baby Mexican Zucchini Bread

To start off with a family anecdote, I'll share a story about my niece, Lauren. We were celebrating her baptism, I believe, at Tia Rosas. She was 8. At the end of the meal, she starts looking around, noting the decoration, the music, and the food. Suddenly she turns to me, and with inquisitive eyes she asks, 
"Is this a Mexican place?"  




Today is a day of domestic bliss and grammar. This is because I filled up my house with yummy smells. And I finally learned how to correctly spell the word "zucchini".


Seriously, who ever thought to put zucchini in bread? (Still wanting to spell it wrong.) I would like to give them a little curtsey. Especially after enjoying some fresh out of the oven today. It was jump-up-and-down good. (I think I actually did.) The chocolate chips didn't hurt. I have entitled my bread "Baby Mexican Zucchini Bread" because of the cinnamon and Mexican vanilla used, both so reminiscent of warmth and richness and exotic vacations.

I started out with a version created by the chefs at Cook's Illustrated, but the recipe evolved so much that I really think I must call it mine. Be sure and use the freshest zucchini available- now is the time, as it blooms in spring.

For extra good karma, share with your neighbors. 



Baby Mexican Zucchini Bread

1 small zucchini
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 T butter, melted & cooled
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 egg + 1 yolk 
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon cream
1/2 tablespoon Mexican vanilla
1/4 cup toasted pecans

1. Mix up your dry ingredients with the pecans and chocolate chips. 
2. Shred your zucchini. 
3. Whip up your egg, yolk, sour cream, cream, butter, and vanilla. I do this by hand. 
4. Fold your wet ingredients into your dry, then fold in your zucchini. 
5. Spray two baby loaf pans. Plop the batter in with a wooden spoon. 
6. Let your batter rest and hydrate while you warm up your oven to 350 degrees. Clean up the mess you have so artistically created. When your oven beeps its readiness, place your baby loaves in the middle and cook for 35 minutes. You will know it is ready by the way it springs back to a very gentle touch. 
7. Baby loaves cool fast. I turned mine out of the pan, let it blow off steam for about 5 minutes, then sliced and buttered and jumped up and down as I ate. 

Note to Fastidious Cooks: 
There has been some debate over whether to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before it goes in the batter. This is madness! The bread really benefits from the extra moisture the zucchini brings to it. Zucchini cakes, I must add, are a different story. You will end up with floppy, soggy, highly unsatisfactory zucchini cakes if you do not take a towel to them and wring them thoroughly. 

Got any favorite ideas on how to prepare delicious zucchini? Please share. 



“In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” 
― Margaret Atwood

No comments: