Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Favorite Salad Dressing

April is my birth month. It's fun to celebrate some of my favorite things throughout the month. My favorite salad dressing has always been Raspberry Vinaigrette.

In vain have I searched for the perfect Raspberry Vinaigrette. Elusive as an eel, nothing in a bottle or recipe book that I tried really satisfied my high quest.

You know that little crab Sebastian in "A Little Mermaid"? Well, he is a smart fellow. Sometimes, in his own words, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." And okay, some of my own recipes really flop. I mean really. This one, however came through with shining magenta color.

I guess since I was so happy with it, I should make it a deep secret that I only pass on to my nieces. But, it is just too fun to share. If you share a passion for Raspberry Vinaigrette, you might want to try it.

Raspberry Vinaigrette

1/3 cup raspberry preserves ( preferably homemade) (its not as hard as you think)
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
A few dashes Worchestershire sauce (can't we think of a shorter name for this stuff?)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

I could say that I combine everything but the oil and slowly add the oil drop by drop as it emulsifies, but I really just put it all into a jar and shake. 

The Complete Springtime Salad

Romaine and green leafy lettuce
Fresh fennel, sliced thin
Parmesan cheese, shaved
Finely chopped parsley
Sliced strawberries
Candied almonds
Raspberry Vinaigrette


P.S. I am not actually sure that eels are elusive. I do know that they migrate on land. Annie Dillard discusses this more in "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek".

No comments: