Saturday, November 21, 2009

Silly Kit, Two Sweethearts & New Moon Review

Rikki had a right to be proud of himself. But he did not grow too proud. And he kept that garden as a mongoose should keep it, with tooth and jump and spring and bite till never a cobra dared showed its head inside the wall.
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi



Marzipan is silly. She jumps inside the laundry basket when I am trying to fold towels; then gives me her "catatonic" look as if to say: Why are you always so serious?

I have only really liked fictional cats in my life. In books they are always solving mysteries, divining the future, and providing sophisticated companionship. In real life, my sister's cat used to gnaw on my scalp while I slept, and ate the baby quail that my dad brought home for me. I'm over it, really.... (grrrr)

So when Marzipan showed up on my porch and curled up on the lawn chair all day, I was in no hurry to adopt a kitty. But I knew she wouldn't last long outdoors, as the gray fox is somewhat of a frequent visitor. Plus, she had the most plaintive meow, more like a baby goat than a cat.

Yet she has proven herself most useful! One morning when I forgot to set my alarm, she awoke me by tinkling the crystals on my lamp. I'm not kidding. I heard this faint tinkling, and she was patting them with her paw, making delicate chiming noises. Then I looked at the clock and was glad she did!

My friend Lucy sent me some pictures of her and her sister Esme in Atlanta. These are two of the sweetest, most genuine girls I know, and my life has been much richer for knowing them. I hope they come visit Arizona soon!
Thanks to my sister-in-law Kimmy, I saw New Moon before anyone else! She got me and Juli tickets to an early, private showing from her dedicated friend and fan of the Twilight Series.

New Moon is the saddest of the series. I mean, Bella's just recovering from nearly being eaten by a vampire due to her love for Edward, and then Edward deserts. Then she makes a new, trusty friend and he starts undergoing a metamorphosis into another preternatural being.

If you think about it, Bella does not have it all that easy.

There are enough reviews out there to read already, most disparaging, but I rather enjoyed it! "The course of true love never did run smooth." Name that author. This really applies to New Moon- but for the story's sake, we are glad it does not.


What a perfectly beautiful little Lady.
Lady and the Tramp

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I can't wait to see it! Thanks for the spoiler-free review! And I got your e-mail. I love the way you write! I miss you. I owe you a phone call, to be sure. :)

Tiffany M. said...

Yes you do Lynnay Lou.