Monday, February 22, 2010

Le Gift Basket

Bright, good morning to all.
~The Mummy


So, I devised a new way to combine pretty paper with something essential to happiness: good food.

I always pass the scrapbook paper with a longing look, wanting to do something with all that fun design, but not quite wanting to scrapbook. Nothing against scrapbooking. It's just that I scrapbooked for three weeks straight after getting my wisdom teeth out, and I think I associate it with unpleasant things.

My inspiration came from the source of so many inspirations: a book. Then I just used transparent paper to transcribe the recipe, so you can see the cute design underneath. Alas, there are many ways to do this.

I must note, this recipe comes from my friend Jenny, who has turned into a magnificent chef. Her recipes on The Picky Palate are truly extraordinary. It seems like just yesterday we were practicing for pom pom try-outs.... and filming ridiculous movies with ridiculous dances.... (sigh)

The recipe cards are made of folded cardstock, so that they stand up of their own accord. I wrote the ingredients on the front, and the method on the back. I tried using one last night, and it was so much easier than trying to keep a big cook book open while I beat my eggs and sugar.

Tie up your recipe card with a pretty bow, and it makes a simple, pretty way to share a good recipe.

I delight in these little butterflies now found in various craft stores.
Giving gifts is one of my favorite things to do. Not that I am good at it. I'm not. But, one day I'll get it.

Today is my niece Maggie's birthday. I have so much fun with her. Last week, I babysat her, Price and Lane so Kimmy could properly celebrate her own birthday. After putting Lane to bed, I came out to find Maggie with the game Memory all set up. She had a wicked gleam in her eye, for Maggie plays this game better than anyone, and was looking forward to a great conquest. Price and I had to combine forces, and she still won.

Last week, we had something of a dance party at my house. I played Vampire Weekend, and Maggie became an instant fan. She particularly likes the song Horchata. So, while we were playing, we both kept bursting out in song at various intervals with "Drinking Horchata" very loudly. Price was a good sport, but was surely annoyed by our constant, repetitive singing.

Then it was time for bed. Spontaneous storytime has become something of a ritual for us. Usually, they request a story about a certain topic. And I usually happen to have a story to match. Once they requested a story with a snail and a snake in it, and it was so weird, because that was just the perfect match for The Never Ending Story. It is a bit of an eighties film, so they didn't know it.

That night, Maggie said, "How about a story about..... drinking Horchata." Then burst out in delirious giggles. More requests soon poured in. These kids have great ideas, I could write books about most of them.

"How about... a bowl of fruit that comes to life." "No, no,.... the Statue of Liberty comes to life." "I liked the one about the Merry Go Round that came to life."

And so on! Although I liked the Horchata and Statue of Liberty ideas, the story that just felt right to share was The Legend of Holly Claus. She has her heart turned to snow by an evil wizard.

Happy Birthday Mags. Love Aunt Tiffy!




"Neither be cynical about love
For in the face of all aridity
It is as perennial as the grass."

~Max Ehrmann

No comments: