Saturday, May 8, 2010

Oh, Pan!

It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens.
~Cynthia E. Varnado





Pan (Marzipan) has many preferences. Sometimes, she prefers to hide deeply in large, floppy blankets. As you see here.

She prefers to drink out of the toilet, but I think this is yucky. I keep the toilet lid down to prevent this sort of thing. Sometimes, however, she will stare very pointedly at the toilet and then dilate her pupils as she looks at me (I am sure she does it on purpose). Humans, as we all know, are complete suckers for dilated pupils.

The word "pupil" comes from the Latin "pupilla" which means: little doll. Hence, we find this adorable and are unable to stop ourselves from succumbing to this look.

So, I open the toilet lid for Pan, and she drinks contentedly, her guilty pleasure. Once, she tried drinking from the bath I was taking. She seems completely transfixed by pools of water. Although, since I put quite a few bubbles in my bath, it must have tasted bitter, and she never did it again. Sometimes, she will stare pointedly at the bathroom sink. This means I must fill it with water. So I do, then she stares at the water for about five minutes, takes three licks of it, and is gone.

???







All right, said the cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.
-- Lewis Carroll, Alice In Wonderland

No comments: