Friday, June 4, 2010

To Absent Friends

It is amazing how many new friends you make at work when you bring cupcakes.
My recipe was inspired by Giada de Laurentis- only I changed it, of course, nonconformist kitchen mouse that I am. Still, it turned out well, and the strawberry glaze is all Giada.
Another lady that inspires me is Rachel Ashwell. While reading her blog, I came upon this picture. It was exactly what I needed to hear- or read, rather. "Keep calm and be joyful."
This advice comes especially in handy when cleaning up the library after a summer's day. Kids are out of school. Kids come to the library. Remember King Priam in the movie Troy? I'm sure you do. When the Greeks come in and are pulling all the statues down, he is horrified, waving his arms and shouting "Have you no honor! Have you no honor!" That is how I feel when the floodgates of children come in and are pulling everything off the shelves, and I have 30 minutes to clean up or I am toast! I don't wave my arms and shout, "Have you no honor!" but I am thinking something along those lines. Today, I tried to be joyful, as Rachel gently instructs, in the face of my impending doom. And somehow, everything got cleaned and I was able to rock out on the way home with a clean conscience, having smiled sweetly at the children while telling them not to maim each other, instead of frowning.

Honey catches more bees than vinegar.
~Old Folk Saying

Photo courtesy of ShabbyChic.com.

No comments: