Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Fair is a Veritable Smorgasbord

My mom thinks I'm super weird because I can still sing the song about the fair from Charlotte's Web, even though I haven't seen it since I was a wee child. I mean the ORIGINAL Charlotte's Web. Not that the new one isn't good. It fully wrung tears from me. 

But who can forget Templeton's delight, as he stuffs himself on Funnel cake and corn dogs? Not I. It is this childish delight in simple pleasures that makes me long for the fair, even though I eat food designed to kill me and inhale a vast deal of second hand smoke. And ride rides that may or may not be safe. 

This is an account of this year's trip to the fair! I went with a wonderful person, who indulged me in riding the Sky Rider, a terrifying version of the Yo-yo. We went to the petting zoo, where I was stalked by a llama, just like in Emperor's New Groove. And baby goats ate at the lace on my Betsey Johnson dress, like little fish. I had my first Funnel cake, and I have to say, it is by no means overrated! We saw the World's Largest Gator, Smallest Horse, and Biggest Pig (or so the man taking our money said). There was a ginormous sand sculpture, fried Snickers (gross!), and a corn dog for me (my weakness). 

Then for La Grande Wheel, where there may or may not have been kissing. Then, unfortunately, I chose a ride that made my date sick. I seem to have a knack for that. But watching kiddie rides was a fun remedy. Especially the free fall that ranged about 10 feet in height. Too funny! 

What is there not to love about the fair? Let's see if I can find a good fair quote. 

Oh my gosh I found one! Its so true. 

If you ever start feeling like you have the goofiest, craziest, most dysfunctional family in the world, all you have to do is go to a state fair. Because five minutes at the fair, you'll be going, 'you know, we're alright. We are dang near royalty.'
Jeff Foxworthy 

No comments: