Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Scorpions & Such

I am the only person I know who actually liked this movie! I tend to dig anything set in ancient times. Even if the female's outfit is completely inadequate for a trek through the desert.

Yesterday I found my cat, Panny, playing with a scorpion in the garage! Being an overprotective pet owner, I screamed, scooped her up, and returned her to the safety of the house. She immediately wanted to go back to the garage, where she was enjoying a little unexpected excitement. Then I figured, hey, if she can survive those immunity shots they gave her (even though she got a terrible fever), she can probably survive a sting from a scorpion. So I let her back out, and tried not to think about it.

I myself am a scorpion sting survivor. I still remember the first time I was stung. I was in third grade. Sitting on the piano bench, I felt a pang in my hand, and then an uncomfortable warmth spreading through my fingers. That would be poison. I lifted up my hand, where the scorpion was hanging by his little stinger. I screamed like a Banshee, and began to run circular laps around the house. Famous for my tantrums as a child, no one was too surprised, but when it had gone on long enough, my brother Eddie efficiently tackled me. Of course, the running had caused the poison to spread, but no one had informed me of this as yet in my education.

I spent the day at school with a scribe, someone who did all my writing for me, as my writing hand was temporarily paralyzed. Indeed. The scorpion was small, and I could not use my hand because of its potent injection.

Speaking of scorpions, my mom is a Scorpio. We celebrated her birthday this week. Oh what a night. I made Chocolate Chip cupcakes. And we had pizza and watched Mulan. My nieces dressed up in some of the costumes I made forever ago. It makes me feel good that they still love to use them. Belly dancers, rock stars, French muses.... they can think of a million ways to put together all those random costume pieces!

Speaking of French muses, I recently watched the latest Barbie installment. It is really hard to get Barbie down, but this story presents some challenges even for her! Fortunately, there is always Paris, and pretty dresses. And puffy poodles. Unfortunately, there were no scorpions to liven it up. But there were a few zombies. Curious? Check it out at your local library. If they are not cool enough to carry shows like these..... time to move to Scottsdale! 


Happy Wednesday, and watch out for scorpions coming in from the cold. 


"Because we focused on the snake, we missed the scorpion."
~Egyptian Proverb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was looking at your blog and I like it. I want to invite you to become my blog friend, and if you follow me, I will follow you...

What do you think?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Jesse

Tiffany M. said...

That would be great! What's your address?