Monday, April 25, 2011

Her Name Was Lola....

...she was a puppy.


Sometimes people, and animals, come into our lives for a short time. Even if the time is very short, we are much richer for having known them.
Such is the story of Lola. I was driving to work... c'est ma vie... and I saw her, near a busy street, all alone. I exclaimed, "Oh no!" For I hate to see a pet without an owner, and there was no one around.
I pulled over forthwith, and she raced towards me! I put her in my car, and even though it made me exceeeeeeedingly late for work, I set her up in a room with some water and a blanket (my favorite blanket, but hey, she'd had a tough day).
Arriving home late that night, I did not know what to expect when I got home. I mean, my bunny and kitty are often full of surprises, and now there was a chihuahua thrown into the mix... but there was Lola, quiet as a mouse, curled up on the pink plushy blanket where I left her.
I stayed up late cleaning off an old bunny cage- yes, I happen to have an old bunny cage in my garage- and outfitting it with newspaper, doggie food from a kind coworker, water, and my favorite blanket (I really need to balance my emotions when it comes to pets).
But before sweet slumber overtook us all, some chaos erupted. I brought Lola out into the kitchen. She started eating my kitty, Marzipan's, food, and drinking her water. Marzipan bristled up like a baby bottle brush, hissing and spitting and like three times her normal size, due to all that hair sticking straight out. Lola just wanted to be friends, and completely ignored the menacing sounds emitting from my cat, nearly getting clawed in the face and possibly eaten.
Then, out of nowhere, there was this scorpion. It looked like it fell of of Lola, and so there was this crazed little dog, an enraged cat, and this scorpion scuttling around, and I was tired and at my very limit. Thus, I screamed, and screamed loudly.
Later, when the scorpion was removed and we were all cozy in our beds, I heard a crunching noise. I arose to find that while Lola preferred Pan's cat food, it appeared that Pan preferred Lola's dog food. She had pulled the little plastic bag out, torn it open, and was eating heartily. I mean, who'd have thunk?
Well, a few wild incidents and some missing poster hanging later, I got a call from Lola's owners, and our adventure was over. I was sad to part with her, but happy that she was reunited with a little girl who appeared to love her very much.
Pan was not sad to part with her. She, in fact, celebrated with much vigor.

“I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.”

Mother Teresa

No comments: