Friday, April 15, 2011

Sunburned and Satisfied

"There's a few things I've learned in life: always throw salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for good luck, and fall in love whenever you can"
— William Shakespeare
 There is a recipe in my family we call Gruyere Potatoes. Everyone loves this dish, even my brother, who complains about the little pools of grease the cheese makes. I mean, its just so satisfying. One's hunger is TRULY filled.
But I had never baked them properly. Not until today. Because I did not have the proper pan. But I got the proper pan for my birthday. One that evenly distributes the potatoes into a thin layer. This is very good news!!!
Why is this such good news? Because now, instead of just a few potatoes being covered in a cheesy crust, MANY potatoes can be covered in a cheesy crust. And that means more people will get potatoes with a cheesy crust. And that means more tummies will be TRULY satisfied. And the people belonging to those tummies will go on to do great things. Ask anyone.


Here are Le Potatoes Gruyere, ready to go into the oven.                       

There used to be this restaurant I loved called La Madeleine. This is where I got my recipe for Le Potatoes Gruyere. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business. At least, not that I know of. But I used to love to eat there. It was a bit like eating in a cave: well, a well-decorated cave. So cozy. Now it has been replaced by Five Guys, and while I really enjoy their amazing high-tech fountain with a million different kinds of soda... I still miss La Madeleine.
I did buy a La Madeleine cookbook before they went away. That is how I can recreate the feel of it in my own kitchen. I just need to find a way to make my house more cave-like.


My sister wanted to hike Camelback this morning. We went up the east trail, and I got the worst sunburn. Its really bad. And it is in the shape of my t-shirt, so I look ridiculous. But I read about a guy who used lavender to heal his burn, so I am going to try the same thing (lavender + bubble bath= no more sunburn ((I hope)).

Quite a fascinating story really:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8124735_calming-effects-lavender-oil.html


"ladies fair, I bring to you
lavender with spikes of blue;
sweeter plant was never found
growing on our english ground."
Caryl Battersby

2 comments:

HOLMES said...

Tiffany-
I live in Texas, where there's a La Madeleine in every major city and suburb... guess they are just not in business in AZ!

Tiffany M. said...

So so so so so so envious!