Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Little Things + Hero / Heroine

This is a post about a combination of things, both spiritual and materialistic in nature, that to me evokes the feeling of Christmas. Oh, with some heroes and heroines thrown in. 



 Christmas booties! 


 My crafty sister who made me a plate. Because of the tape measurer, little bird, and sewing model, 
it reminds me of one of my most beloved heroines, Cinderella. She is my heroine, because even when everything around her is bad, it is like she has this inner light, and she always makes the best of very little. 


Hello Kitty duct tape! Hello Kitty is a great heroine for all girls. She is trusting, innocent, and fun. 



 New pink jacket! So reminiscent of Barbie, another heroine of mine. Barbie is a leader, and when things go wrong in her world, she loses herself in a good cause. 


 New French whisk (the bomb) and hand-embroidered pillowcase from Grandma Winklemann (priceless). 
My Grandma is another heroine of mine, because she is a Domestic Goddess. 


 I do believe in fairies! 
(Just close your eyes and say it. Its all you need to know.)


 Sweettart Candy Canes! 


Something Halloweeny at Christmas... 


Earrings! 


Perfume! 


Stingray teeth! 
I went to the zoo with my nephew Finn, and we petted the sting rays. The zoo guy gave me a tooth. 


My library membership. 
When you think about it, the generosity of libraries, of artists, of the universe in general, doesn't make any sense. Maybe that is why it works so well. 

And now, I am going to write a short meditation on the song "Lucky Now"by Ryan Adams. 

"And the lights will draw you in
but the dark will break you down
and the night will break your heart
But only if you're lucky now"

For me, one of the trickiest things in life is knowing what you really want. But if you are one of those lucky people who know- genuinely know- what it is you want, then you should just go for it. It is worth getting your heart broken- and you will. It is worth going broke. It is worth everything, if you really know what you want. It is worth going on the longest journey ever. Whether you get what you want or not, is not the point. The point is,  you will live. And at the end of this road that is endless, full of heartbreak and sorrow, and lower that low, you'll look back, and you'll realize something- that you were one of the lucky ones. 



True ecstasy hails neither from spirit nor from nature, but from the union of these two.
~Martin Buber

No comments: