Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Kitchen Confessional

Today we are going to talk soup.

My blog address is named after a line from Batman Begins. So how do I tie in soup with Batman? Hmmmm.

I'm not exactly sure, but even heroes need soup. Maybe there are not a lot of cozy kitchen scenes portrayed in Batman Begins, or The Dark Knight, or even The Dark Knight Rises, but I am just sure that to gather strength, Batman eats a lot of soup.

Due to my activities on Pinterest, I notice that many people have an obsession with food. I find it a worthy obsession, for when I do not eat well, I am not able to sleep or basically enjoy anything. Last night I woke up with a line from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' in my head-

"When you come to my house and I cook for you?"

And I just started cracking up. I mean, really laughing. But then I became sad, because I miss cooking so much for the people I love. I miss cooking for my sister-in-law, who cannot eat gluten. I miss cooking for my parents, who I no longer live with. It is really, really hard for me to cook something and not share it with someone.

Enter the digital age! This must be why we blog. Maybe I can't cook for everyone, but we can share meals vicariously! By the way, I will find someone to share my soup with, if only a bowl...

All right enough chit chat. This is my idea of a good lunch. Winter greens like kale are so fortifying. Great toppings give soup an extra boost. Pumpkin bread adds richness and pleasure. Served with something bubbly, like a ginger ale with grenadine syrup.

Don't forget something good playing in the background, and at least one candle burning in the house. Preferably with a subtle fragrance.



White Bean Soup with Kielbasa, Fennel, and Kale

2 T Olive oil
1/2 smoked kielbasa sausage
4 cups chopped kale
1 onion
1 fennel bulb
4 garlic cloves
1 1/2 t fresh thyme
1/4 t dried crushed red pepper
8 cups low salt chicken broth
1 can white beans

Freshly grated parmesan, to serve
Good quality pesto, to serve

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add your vegetables and sausage and sauté until browned and tender, about 20 minutes. I sort of throw things in the pot as they are cooking. 
When you sauté kale at high heat and then add liquid, you are using a technique called braising. This caused the kale to lose its bitter flavor and become sweet and tender. 
Next, add your garlic and herbs, and sauté a few minutes more. Add your chicken broth and drained beans, and simmer your soup vigorously for about 20 minutes. 

Remember to top your soup with pesto and freshly grated parmesan. 


Be well, eat well!



“There's a friendly tie of some sort between music and eating.” 
― Thomas HardyUnder the Greenwood Tree


No comments: