Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pages from my Book of Love

Beauty hath strange power.

John Milton



When I was in college, I saw a woman on Oprah named Sarah Ban Breathnach. So inspired, I went and bought her book, Simple Abundance. Its themes are many, but one is the awakening of creativity. One of her exercises involves the forming of collages, visual aids that interest you, thrill you, delight you.





When I am in a mental bind and need inspiration, I often refer to these books. They are fun to create, and they are cheap and instantly rewarding. I feel like I have created something, and since it is pure fun and play, there is no pressure: it is only for me.





It is said that images and color and shapes stimulate the right side of the brain, where our less logical, more magical thoughts reside.


I'd love to hear about anyone's experiments with a Book of Love; for me, the results are always fun, inspiration, and a healthy escape from my daily round.


I saw the angel in the marble, and I carved until I set him free.

Michelangelo

No comments: