Monday, September 21, 2009

Autumnal Equinox

falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly

~John Bailey




What wonders await us this fall. I myself cannot wait for that first bite of pumpkin bread. This versatile bread is remarkable because of its endless possibilities. You can add chocolate chips, orange zest, dried cranberries, ginger, pecans, lemon glaze, maple glaze, a dusting of powdered sugar, cinnamon, and more; and it turns out every time!

But, what is better? Eating the warm, spicy-sweet bread, or just enjoying the aromatic smell as it meanders through your hallways and into your appreciative nostrils? I have often held this debate with myself.

The good news is, you don't have to choose. Your sense of smell and taste are intrinsically and inescapably joined. Fall is the perfect time to celebrate both. Sarah Ban Breathnach, author of Simple Abundance, believes that our senses are sacred; especially that of scent. "So sacred was the power of scent that God instructed Moses to build an altar of fragrance when he prayed."

True, you could go to the store and buy pumpkin bread. But I have a theory. The scent of the fragrant bread gets our mouths watering, and when our mouths water our digestive systems peak, and when we experience good digestion we sleep well, and when we sleep well we are satisfied.

Just a theory.
I do love this little boy. This is my nephew, Price. He and his sister Maggie already have their Halloween decorations up (with the help of mom Kimmy). They were so excited to show me their display, and they are working on planting their garden.

How to celebrate the Autumnal Equinox? I'm sure these kids would have a few ideas on it. They are the best audience, and would probably like me to make up a story for them about how a pumpkin named Jack went in search of his one pumpkin love (or something like that).

I think we celebrated last night when Kimmy served her peach cobbler. Really it was indescribable, but if I could describe it, I would say it was like a churro from Disneyland filled with succulent, last of the season peaches. Goodbye, Summer, and thank you for your marvelous fruits.
Happy Autumnal Equinox from me, Pepper & Theo. They love apples, so they are excited for fall. And I am excited to get dancing. And see my friend Tammie get married in San Fransisco. And hopefully visit Lynds in paradise. :)

Learn more about the Autumnal Equinox (good stuff):
http://www.softsailor.com/news/science/7894-autumnal-equinox-on-september-22-represents-the-first-day-of-fall-2009.html



Besides the autumn poets sing,
A few prosaic days
A little this side of the snow
And that side of the haze.

~Emily Dickinson

No comments: