Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Perfect Crepe

I do not scruple to employ mendacity and a fictitious appearance of female incompetence when the occasion demands it.
Amelia Peabody


I thought I invented this, then someone told me they serve these at I Hop. Well then.

They are still better homemade! They are Crepes- paper thin French pancakes- stuffed with Nutella and drizzled with chocolate syrup.

At the library, I opened the book "Julie and Julia" and the first line I read was thus:

The road to hell is paved with leeks and potatoes.

That was sort of my experience finding a proper Crepe recipe. First I tried Nigella's cookbook. She is this fabulous British personality with a flair for the kitchen. Unfortunately, I did not have success with her "Blitzes" as she calls them. She is a bit of a free spirit, and I fear does not always mind proportions as she should (no offense Nigella).

I will say, Julia Child's cookbook is one you can trust. When I tried her Crepes, they turned out so well. I also watched her show "The French Chef" and found it not only informative but amusing as well. She says things like "I am most anxious for you to try this" which makes me feel that she really does care that I eat well.

In a book called "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek", Annie Dillard observes that one of the chief characteristics of God is extravagance. I cannot help but use this same description of Julia's use of butter. It is astounding. But it is all worth it when she says "This may not be low in calories, but its awfully good."

I really think that the memories of good meals stay with us, and build morale. It makes the search for the perfect Crepe worthwhile.



It behooves us to choose eggs carefully and to treat them right.
Julia Child

1 comment:

Jayme said...

One of my favorites...I haven't see the movie, but would love to soon! Food is so related to memories! Love ya~