Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Music Bath or a Movie Bath?

“Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.”


Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.


What exactly is a music bath? Well, after reading this quote, I gave it some thought.
Probably, it is paying attention to nothing but the music for an extended period of time. I am ridden with guilt for not doing this more. I use music. I use it when I drive, I use it when I exercise or dance, I use it when I wash the tubbie. Seldom do I sit, quietly and attentive, while the music has my full attention.

Shame on me! But I remember the feeling of a music bath. I was in Israel, and we were required to be very culturally competent. One evening, an orchestra came and played for us in the grand hall. I was so fidgety and bored at first. Then I sort of surrendered to the music, and afterward I felt exactly like Mr. Holmes had described: like my soul had taken a bath.

Then there was the Jimmy Eat World concert I went to with Lyndsay. Don't even get me started on how I felt after that. But the next morning, I inexplicably sang "My Country, Tis of Thee" in the shower. With great fervor. My choir teacher, Mr. Harris... if only he could have heard. I even remembered all the verses.
Speaking of baths, this book reminds me a lot of.... someone I know. The only way to get her out of the tub, is to... you will just have to read the book. "King Bidgood's in the Bathtub"

To reward myself for getting of bed for an oh so early appointment, I listened to this album the whole way, and my sleepies were scattered like the shadows of night. Oh, it is so good.

My appointment was for my car. This nice guy named Pete always helps me. Today he printed out all these movies from Wikipedia he thinks I should watch! They are:

Central Station
Lemon Tree
City of God
The Motorcycle Diaries
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

So this is my chance to rediscover my cultural competency. Wish me luck!

“If music be the food of love, play on.”


William Shakespeare

No comments: