Saturday, February 25, 2012

Princess Dress, Part Deux


After sewing for three days and three nights...

Okay, maybe not quite that hard-core. But I did put a lot of work into the princess dress! Mostly because I used a Vogue pattern, and Vogue patterns do not cut corners. So you end up doing all the lining, hand-stitching, petticoat, multiple hems, and detail that a difficult pattern requires.

But I have come to value difficult things. Because I find that when I buy a pattern that cuts corners, trys to make things easy for me, I end up with a crappy project. And that is the most unsatisfying thing- to invest in something, even if it is easy, and end up with a dress that doesn't really satisfy me. I would much, much, much rather have something difficult, challenging, and end up with a finished creation that makes me sigh with pleasure.

I love that the bow creates little fairy wings in the back for Maya. I did not anticipate this, but it is so appropriate! Every little girl is a fairy.



Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.


~William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894


Prince Arthur and the Fairy Queen" byJohann Heinrich Füssli; scene from The Faerie Queene

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy smokes, Tiffany!! That dress is AMAZING!!! You really outdid yourself. It is so so beautiful. :) I just love it (and you for putting all that time and love into it), and Maya is going to die when she sees it.